Thursday, April 30, 2009

Are Your Best Days Ahead Of You?

While I was in college my parents friends would tell me that their College days were the best years of their life. I remember thinking how depressing this seemed. After 4 years that was it, it would be downhill from there. What a terrifying thought..

I’ll be honest I loved my College days, I played first grade Rugby, was on student government and had an amazing spring break trip to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. On top of that I had the best summer job on a Coast Guard Inshore Search & Rescue boat. If these were going to be my best years I was going to make the most of it!

After leaving college I started my first job and the reality of what my parents friends were saying sunk in. To build a career I had to dedicate all of my time towards that pursuit. Many things changed as I started spending less time with people who were not in my line of business. Then one day I realized how unhappy I had become. My life had become one dimensional, no longer was I surrounded by new and exciting people. I had allowed myself to become boring!! My best days were behind me!

I thought about why college was so good and what I could do to recreate that feeling again. I even debated going back to school and while interviewing at Western Business School they gave me an insight that changed my life! They said your 24 years old and you’ve never traveled overseas you don’t have enough life experience!

Over the course of a two-day drive from London, Ontario back to my hometown of Saint John, New Brunswick I thought about life experience. I pulled into a gas station and right in front of me was a Tony Robbins Cassette tape. I bought the tape and listened to Tony talk about living an extraordinary life! I started making a List of what I wanted to achieve in my life. As I did this I began to realize that my best years were indeed in front of me, all I had to do was take action on my goals.

When I got back home I started taking actions that would change the course of my life. I decided to leave my job and 4 months later I was on a plane to South East Asia & Australia. That trip changed the course of my life as I made a decision that I would take actions for my best days to be ahead of me!

So are your best days ahead of you? What do you have an intense burning desire to do with your life? It may not be as drastic as taking an overseas trip but is there something you’ve always wanted to do? Maybe learn a new language, coach at your local high school or start your own business?

“All our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

Latest 5 My Life List™ Member Experience Stories:
Run Rim to Rim to Rim in the Grand Canyon
Read the Book Non-Violent Communication
Products to Reduce Plastic Bottle Waste
Play Great April 12th Concert
Running a Marathon

If you are not a member yet, it's free and easy to join by visiting www.mylifelist.org. CREATE your life list, ACT on your goals and CELEBRATE a story of a significant experience to inspire others!

No comments: